So you have decided to get a sewing machine for yourself, whether it might be for a hobby or something that you can earn from, it is important that you purchase the best, if not the perfect sewing machine that is fit for your motives. But before you buy one, make sure to know that things to consider in buying so that you won’t go into one of the pitfalls.
- Think about your motives on buying a sewing machine. Will you use it to make crafts, clothing or draperies? Do you want to embroider or to quilt? Understanding your ulterior motives will be the key to finding the best sewing machine for your needs.
- Get the best sewing machine that you can find at your budget. Don’t be fooled by hullabaloos and other twinkly trinkets – choose the one that is manufactured with high quality parts. A machine that won’t easily give up on you in a matter of months. Compare prices and read reviews online to be your guide.
- Purchase from a dealership and not from a big chain store. Here’s the deal: if you buy from a big chain store, chances are, the man in the blue vest can’t give you much information about the sewing machine that you are eyeing on. But when you buy from a dealership, the personnel will be able to give and advise you all the needed information about the machine. You’ll also receive solicited tips on how to maintain your machine.
- Try out the machine. You have to try out the machine before you buy it – this is an ultimate must. If you are not sure how to use it, it may pay off to have a friend who knows how to use a sewing machine so that she can guide you. Does it run smoothly? Does it make a lot of noise? See if the machine is worth it.
- Take sample fabrics that you will work with and test out the machine. Again, your friend will be able to help you with this if you are still starting out.
- Once you have chosen, purchase it, learn how to use it and enjoy!
Don’t feel intimidated to use a new machine – take your time in getting to know the machine you have chosen by trying out its features and everything else.